Thursday, January 31, 2008

Republic Day Parade

Last Saturday Richard got us tickets to the Republic Day Parade. In had imagined the parade would be something similar to the old news footage of communist countries displaying their militaries prowess for all to see. It the end it was the same idea, but without the evil communist over-tones! It was amazing, I really, really enjoyed it!


We opted not to take the kids because in a city of over 18 million people they were expecting huge crowds and control over that many people can easily go awry--which at one point before the parade it did. We were already seated but Richard was still out in the crowd when he witnessed the police being over powered and bowled over by the crowd, a metal detector was knocked down in the mayhem. We felt that if anyone was going to get trampled and live, we would have the best chance.

After waiting in line a bit, having one of the most thorough body searches ever, (good thing it was a woman or I might have had to punch someone)we were corraled into our seats.


The parade began with a helicopter fly-over. As they flew over they dropped something we thought was red smoke, like the airplanes sometimes do. But as it came closer to the ground we realized they had actually dropped flower pedals. A fantastic beginning to a wonderful parade.

After the flower drop the military regiments marched past one by one, each seemed more spectacular than the previous. Their hats were what attracted me the most with their vibrant colors and design. Each branch of the military was represented. One thing that caught our eye was that they were all exactly the same height. No one stood out, they all looked completely identical.

Then came floats representing the various states of India. Some were similar to Rose bowl floats all covered in flowers and other natural material. Others depicted historical sites or battles.


Next we were completely entertained by a camel riding regiment, complete with a camel riding band!


Next came the elephants...can you imagine seeing a brigade of elephants at your next 4th of July parade? Definitely a highlight of the parade, at least for me. But I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the pooper-scoopers!

Wrapping up the parade was a troup of acrobat motorcycle riders and several fly-overs by air force jets and helicopters. It was AWESOME! Then as everyone was leaving the stands they let hundreds of orange, white and grean balloons go into the air. There were so many it started to look like the sky was full of confetti!


It was a great experience and next year we might take the kids!

6 comments:

shauna said...

Wow, my sister was right (Wendy in AK,) you have a cool sight. And I also tell she has not been commenting enough.

This is so fascinating to see India in way I never thought possible. I hope you don't mind if I stop by now and then.

I love your humor too!

shauna said...

PS What kind of camera do you have? It is amazing!

Special K said...

Pineapple princess, thanks for stopping by! I love getting comments on the blog, as most people do!

I have a digital rebel..can't remember exact model but yeah, its a good camera. We have taken some great shots with it!

Your right, wendy doesn't leave enough comments but..then I can't complain can I! :)

shauna said...

That is so funny. I just saw your comment on Wendy's and I JUST checked your blog to see about the camera. I love the internet. There you are on one side of the world and here I am on the other!

So is it a compact or a big one? Pocket size, purse size. . .maybe you could blog about it! The colors it picks up are brilliant.

Thanks for getting back.

Special K said...

PP its a Cannon EOS Rebel XT. Its pretty big--not always easy to lug around but is worth the pictures in the end!

I love Wendy's blog. I've been meaning to jazz my own up a bit but never seem to find the time!

Thanks for stopping by!

Merinda Cutler said...

Okay, Kelly. How did you get a camera into the parade?? I have been to the parade three times now, and never dared to smuggle a camera in. I've smuggled snacks and sippy cups, but never a camera. Did you get to bring it because ya'll are VIPs? Anyway, love your blog and that distinct Kelly humor. Can I put a link to your blog on mine?
Merinda