Sunday, March 16, 2008

Night Under the Stars


On Saturday night the school held their biggest fund-raiser of the year. They call it 'Night Under the Stars'. Each year it is a different theme and this year it was "Bollywood Through the Ages".
Traditionally it is formal "Indian" dress. That means wearing a sari, which I have apprehensions about. Not for any other reason than being short and round. But since we bought tickets I had no choice. Luckily I was pleasantly surprised when I found and fell in love with a black, glittery sari. When I saw it, it made me forget all about being short and round, all I wanted to do was try it on, the quicker the better.
Being wrapped in a sari is no small feet mind you and after a few minutes of wrap and tuck (plus the normal "feel ups" in the process, never get tired of that) I was in love!
About an hour before the event me, A and my neighbor J, gathered in my bedroom with each of our maids who furiously wrapped, tucked and pinned us until we were ready. What was so cute was that none of them are over 5 feet tall and with us wearing heels, we towered over them like giants.

Our men also dressed for the occasion and looked quite dashing in their fancy Kurtas.


At the school they had a "red-carpet" entrance and an elephant to take photos with. The ball field was set up with tables and a stage for the show, which consisted of the Indian version of the Solid Gold Dancers.
There was all kinds of food and free alcohol, which we don't drink, but its always fun watching others after they've "had a few"!
It was a fun evening and a great opportunity to help the school. All the proceeds go to fund all the student-service and out-reach programs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, You all look so great! Sounds like tons of fun. You look tons better in your Sari than I would look in a Hanbok. :-) Hope you all had fun.

shauna said...

Those sari's are incredibly beautiful. It kind of helps one forget about the elephant droppings.

Sari, I mean sorry, you didn't win the bag :0( Kinda hoped the little boy would pick your name out.

Thanks for the link. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't get in trouble for making your site available to my thousands (ha ha, as if!)of readers. I just love the way you share your life and family and hope others can enjoy too.

Special K said...

PIP: Thanks!

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

PiP, you cannot steal my friend! (okay, you helped me start my blog, I owe you...now, get some more international flare and go for tammy too...she lives in Korea.)

Kellie in Delhi...or Kelleria...you look stunning in the Sari and Tammy, I want to see you in a Hanbok. Go for it.

Special K said...

What's a Hanbok?

Rena said...

Oooh La La, Kel,
You look Gorgeous!! And you had your hair cut. It looks great! I love the color! What happened to flying me out there to cut and color it for you?

Special K said...

Sorry Rena, I have replaced you with a new hair stylist named Deepak. I think he is gay, well I'm pretty sure he is gay but he is great with hair! But nobody can color like you. I haven't been highlighting since I left Florida. No one can do it like you did!