Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mehandi


Before the Night Under the Stars event I decided to get a Mehandi (or henna) done.
Traditionally they do these for special occasions and holidays. Most commonly it is done for brides and grooms for their weddings.
I went with 2 friends and we all had different artists. One friend had two different artists doing each arm and they turned out completely different. She wasn't so happy.
My other friend ended up picking the best artist and got both the tops and bottoms of her hands done (up to her elbows) and then a small design around her bicep. Her design was our favorite.
I picked a design that I loved and as he was about half way done I realized that it was not even close to the design I had picked out. Needless to say I drew a bit of a crowd while expressing my displeasure. Finally after speaking my peace another artist said "okay, you no like, you no pay". I'm sure my henna artist didn't appreciate his advice but I sure did!
I felt a little guilty afterwards for not paying because it really was a nice design and I ended up liking it a lot later, but at the time I was feeling very angry and a bit taken advantage of.
We used to get henna done when we lived in Cairo and I was so excited to learn they did it here as well. It is a lot of fun and great because nothing is permanent. It all wears off in a week or two!

3 comments:

shauna said...

A temporary tattoo? A mother's dream for sure!

It looks so delicate. I noticed it on your other pictures. Do I get point for that?

Special K said...

Sure, maybe I should start a contest of my own! I spy the henna tatoo! :)

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

You better start learning how to do this henna thing Kell so you can do mehand when you get back to the states.

There were places in the International market by our hotel in Hawaii that were doing the henna tattoos. It was fun to watch. Maybe next time I will get one and then blame it on Kelly....she had one, why can't I?

We can chat anytime about hotels in Hawaii...