Friday, September 28, 2007

"Bugged" Again


My friend Jean sent me a lovely care package with a bunch of Costo size boxes of junk food (I still need to know how much I owe you Jean). I got the box yesterday and was so excited to see pop-tarts, cereal, granola bars and best of all OREOS! It was like Christmas.
Anyway I put everything away in our little pantry and in the morning Richard informed me that the ants had gotten into all the new food.
I foolishly thought that since I hadn't opened anything that it wouldn't attracted those pesky little creatures, WRONG! These little guys are very persistence and obviously "sealed packaging" in the US isn't what it used to be. The hardest hit item was the box of oreos. But we were not going to let those pint sized soldiers win this time. We unwrapped every package except for a couple that obviously had no hope of revival and searched every single oreo for ants (i.e.picture obove). After all, junk food from America is a precious commodity and I could not let all those oreos or money go to waste!
We went through everything else and every box contained ants but the only other item that actually contained ants inside the bags were the frosted mini-wheats. So again I sifted through two large bags of mini-wheats and saved those as well. I'm actually proud of myself because if this had happened in the states I would have chucked everything in the trash and started over. But when your desperate you tend to be a bit more resourceful.

Unsalvigable Oreos! :(

A plate of "clean" oreos!

Bottom of the oreo box and what was left of the ants. There was easily 10 times this amount when we opened it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

It's so nice that you are blogging so everyone in the US can feel like you're still close to home. Julia and I miss you and Morgann very much and think of you often. I completely understand how important "American" food can be and I know I would have picked out the ants too when I was living in Korea. Enjoy all your junk food!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Did you get my comment?

Jean

Anonymous said...

Ok well, those stinking ants. Just eat them too I hear they are good for the protein, and thats one way to make an oreo good for you. Don't they eat bugs there anyway. I would send you some spray but it would never get past the inspection. What do you think they would do to the honey?

:) Love ya
Jean

Anonymous said...

Too funny. It sure is good to read all about you. Like you're not even gone. I drove past your house the other day and noticed a BRIGHT purple feather wreath on the door. We're talking bright. Halloween?? It's just not the same without you.

Mandy

Anonymous said...

That ant thing sucks man!! And the wayne & garth story is a killer. Just what you need after a move around the world - a pet disaster. Love you guys Keeping it real in Vegas.......