Sunday, August 19, 2007

Independence Day










August 15th is Indian's Independence day. As you would assume it is a national holiday and everyone was off work, including us Americans (Yippe). We went to the church house that morning at 9:00am where they were holding a district Independence day activity. At first everyone gathered around the flag and they sang the Indian national anthem afterwards they chanted the same word three times, which I later found out was the word victory. Then they cheered and we all dispersed and went into the building where we stayed for a 3 hour talent show. They sang, they danced, gave talks and told jokes. It was long but genuinely interesting. They sang many patriotic songs, all of which were in Hindi or other native languages, so we couldn't understand them but we could feel them. Everyone says that love is a universal language but I would add patriotism to the list as well. Their level of pride and patriotism for their country was nothing less than inspiring. We also participated with the small group of Americans that were present by singing, My Country tis of Thee, for them and for India. As I sang this song, a song that I had only ever associated up to that day with my own great country of America, I was surprised how the words I sang seemed to apply as much to them as they ever had to me. There I was singing "let freedom ring" for a country who, like us, fought their own battle for independence from the British and I was moved by that sense of commonality.

One interesting fact I learned that day was that India has only had their independence for the last 60 years due to the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi. We visited Mahatma Gandhi's tomb and also his place of assassination several weeks ago. We also watched the movie as well and as we were participating in this independence day celebration it was more meaningful to me since I somewhat understood the process in which they obtained it. We read many of Gandhi's quotes and messages to his people. He was a amazing man. His teachings were ahead of his time and his understanding of the human race and diety was nothing short of inspiring. It is my belief that without Mahatma Gandhi's inspired leadership, India's independence would have come at a much higher price, if at all. Gandhi and his teachings are still very highly revered by the Indian people. Something else I recently learned was that Mahatma was actually a title and not his name. The title of Mahatma means "Great Soul". If you get a chance I encourage you to watch it if you haven't seen it or watch it again if its been a while!








They ended by again singing their national anthem which again was very touching and gave me goose-bumps. After that they had food and we went home. It was a long day but worth it. Tyson couldn't even make it the whole time, he finally fell asleep on Morgann's lap. I really enjoyed myself and am glad we made the effort to go.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.