Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Attention All Brothers

A couple days ago we experienced the Indian festival of Raksha Bandhan.

Raksha Bandhan or Rakhi (pronounced Rocky) is a festival that kindles the deepest emotions of love and affection among siblings. Raksha = protection & Bandhan = tie. The Rakhi is a bracelet that symbolizes the sisters sacred love and devotion for her brother/brothers.

The sister ties the Rakhi on the brother's wrist and offers sweets to her brothers. Both pray for each others well being. By accepting the Rakhi the brother accepts responsibility of protecting and caring for his sister. The brother usually gives the sister a gift as well.
Rakhi is considered stronger than iron chains as it binds brothers and sisters in an inseparable bond of love and trust.

We did our own Rakhi ceremony at home where Morgann and MaKaela tied bracelets around Taylors wrist (Tyson was asleep) and he pledged to protect and take care of them. I LOVE this holiday.

When I learned about this festival I was very touched by its meaning and symbolism. I instantly thought of my own brothers and the love I have for each of them and wished I could share this sweet ceremony with them. But since we live half way around the globe from one another it is impossible for me to do it physically. But in the spirit of Rakhi my dear brothers, please accept the bracelet (I will send in the mail) and know how much I miss and love you. (I'm tearing up just writing this) I'm somewhat overcome with emotion and I'm having a hard time putting my feelings into words. This bracelet is a symbol and tangible evidence of the sacred feelings I hold in my heart. I hope you all know how much I love you! Happy Raksha Bandhan!! I love you!

P.S. You don't actually have to wear the bracelet, I just wanted to send one in the spirit of the holiday and so you could see what I was talking about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey What about sisters??? I think we need a holiday like that too!!!
I could also use a another holiday where I can jewelry. Maybe we can just make up our own tradition. Well love you anyway little sister.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.