Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sweet Sixteen

A lot has happened over the last couple of weeks. Grandma & Grandpa S came to visit for a couple of weeks from Germany. We went to Agra and visited the Taj, Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri.....
Oh yeah, and big T turned 16!!

I thought that once Big T turned 16 I would feel differently as a mother, but ya know, it doesn't feel much different to be a mother of a 16 year old than it did a 15 year old. But the idea of him starting to date (it is our rule that they be at least 16) is kinda scary. All of the sudden it feels like the forbidden fruit is no longer forbidden. For 16 years we have preached no dating, no kissing, no holding hands, girls have "cooties", all the important anti-dating propaganda, and in one magic moment, before the last off-tune note of Happy Birthday drifted off into silence, dating became legal.

Luckily, for me, big T is still a bit shy when it comes to girls and is taking his time wading into the merky waters of the dating pool. This I am all too grateful for. I am also appreciative that Halo, Ghost Recon and goofing around with his friends still seems to hold the majority of his affections, and fortunately, that did not magically change the moment he became 'of-age'. But all too soon I know they will be replaced with a pretty face. I'm not sure I am prepared for that day.

I don't kid myself by thinking I am, or ever was my sons "first-love", that is way too Hollywood. But I have to admit it is a very romantic notion, and at the risk of sounding like a bad cliche, I must share a few feelings;

I can remember clearly the day I first held him in my arms. The feelings and emotions that welled up inside me, at that moment were so incredibly powerful, that I thought my heart might actually burst right out of my chest. The feelings were so overwhelming all I could do was sit and sobb.

I felt as if I were experiencing life for the first time. As if I too was just re-born. Everything was different now. I had never felt such joy, and in turn, saddness took on a whole new meaning as well. It was a moment like no other, incapable of description.
How I long to hold that baby once more...

Enough nostalgia, if I held him in my arms now I would be crushed!

We were at a loss as to what to do for him for his birthday because he doesn't get the normal perks of turning sixeteen in the states. Namely, getting a drivers license and all that entails. I knew we couldn't give him anything that would make up for the fact that he couldn't drive, but I wanted it to be memorable. So, I thought back to my own 16th birthday and decided to throw him a surprise party! Okay, maybe not the best idea, but parents are supposed to be lame, right!
We booked a room at ACSA and had them decorate and cater finger foods. I invited his friends and made them promise not to say anything and I made another AMAZING cake! I didn't think anything could beat that soccer-if-ic cake I made for Mishy but this was pretty impressive!
We told him we were taking him to dinner for his birthday and as we walked up through the ACSA building we asked him to go look for Mo in the party room because she was hanging out there with some friends. We followed him down the hall and as he started to open the door he saw the Happy Birthday sign and swiftly turned around to leave. It was at that moment that I realized how lame the surprise party idea was! We forced him into the room and he was completely taken off guard. I could tell he felt very embarrassed and awkward. (What mother's won't do to embarrass their children!) After a while when the focus was off him he seemed to settle down and enjoy the party. We ate, chatted and listened to music. Little T and his friend favored us with a little "brake-dancing" as well.
Not the kind of 16th birthday party Big T probably imagined, but memorable all the same! We eventually left him and his friends at ACSA to bowl (T wants me to tell you that he dominated at bowling) and gave them their space to hang-out!
It was a successful night. Big T had a memorable 16th bithday and I felt like a good mother! What more could you ask for!

6 comments:

stfisher said...

Wow! cool cake! 16 years old...we're right behind you. H has a little less that 1.5 years to go. I'm not sure if it's worse having a daughter turn 16 or a son. S is planning to be cleaning his Howitzer when her first date comes calling. hee hee hee good luck!

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

Maybe you can be his chouffere sp? on his first dates like I was because my big T didn't have his lisence either. THAT was more akward for me than him but funny.

Tell T that I would be embarressed if you threw me a suprise party too because I don't like the attention on me for birthday parties either. I sympathise with him too. hee hee.

Happy Birthday T.....being 16 IS funner than they say. Your parents will get over it.

Rachelle said...

Wow! The dating age! You know we have 3 boys....I can't imagine what that day will feel like when it arrives! We still have about 7 years until Hayden reaches the ripe old age of 16. Maybe I should make it 18? Or better yet, 21? I already tell them they can't get married until they're 30...so 21 wouldn't be so bad afterall...

We miss you guys!

Take a look at our blog when you have some time...
http://www.thefallsfamily.blogspot.com/

shauna said...

Looks like you pulled it off well. He will remember it with fondness and talk about it at some family gathering in about 15 years.

Love the cake!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Big T. I can't believe you are that old. Too bad about not being able to drive though that is kind of the best part of turning 16. Although it is probably a big relief to the parents huh? You sure are making me feel really old though. You and Mo need to start emailing me and keep me up to date with how old you are so I am not so shocked when you get older. Love and miss you and the family.
Aunt Kimmie

Anonymous said...

Hope 16 doesn't mean your too old to give grandma a hug, I really miss those hugs. Where did all this cake decorating skill pop up from? Are you sure you are not buying them and passing them off on your unsuspecting family as your own work? We can not prove it one way or the other. Who gave him the Teddy Bear, you know what that does to me melts my heart. Love ya tons all of you.