Friday, February 6, 2009

Everest Revisited

Reflections on the trip from Mo and Big T:






From Mo:

I honestly can't believe that our trip is over. Just gone and done! I can't believe the 5:30am wake up calls have ended and the hikes around Delhi have been replaced by trips to ACSA with my friends. The crystal blue skies have been changed to grey Delhi ones and the millions of stars have just disappeared. Something that once consumed so much of my life and thoughts is now suddenly gone and I often find myself wishing i had it back. It seems just like yesterday that i boarded a small 8 seat er Gorka Airlines plane that started our journey, the excitement evident on my face I'm sure, because I sure couldn't contain it. That feeling stayed with me almost every second of the trip, even when we had been climbing inverted down hill for what seemed like forever!


This trip has, even though it was only 18 days, shaped me so much. The 4 or 5 months I spent training taught me diligence and determination. To not give up even when it hurts. During the trip I learned countless lessons about life, the Gospel and about myself. Now, after it's been over I've learned to not take a single second for granted, to make the most of each minute I have because you'll never know when it could end.


One of my favorite days was the 3rd day of the trip. It was an acclimation day which I thought meant we got to rest. I was wrong, but it turned out to be better. We were going to hike to the highest 5 star hotel in the world. My brother and I climbed together, we talked and encouraged each other all the way. Then when we reached the hotel, we sat on the benches and ordered drinks, just relaxing and taking in the miraculous views and things we saw. It had been a while since we had done anything together just us two so it was really nice to sit and talk with him. Then Dad showed up and we talked all together. That is just one of the many bonding experiences that we had. I loved every single second of the trip.


The views were miraculous and even if I tried to describe them I still wouldn't be able to do them justice. I can't believe I saw the things I did. The magnificent mountains that soared into the sky were amazing. The beauty of the trees and rivers were just incredible. Everywhere I turned there was something beautiful to behold, my heart was always filled with joy. There was something about being on that trip, being in the mountains that made me happier than I'd ever been in my short 13 (almost 14) years. I felt my spirits soar most mornings as I stepped out into the rays of light and thought of what the day held for me. Each time we rounded a corner and saw a new sight I couldn't help but gasp in wonder. Sometimes now in school I'll drift off day-dreaming and I'll find myself back on the trail hiking back up the mountain.


My dad and I were hiking partners most of the way up. It was so nice to have him to follow, stepping in his footsteps a lot of the way up the mountain. When I got tired he would stop and rest with me. When I was in front he never pressured me to go faster. He was always there behind or in front of me, never going too far away, always there when I needed him.




I never thought the trip would end so quickly. It was a life changing experience that I will never forget. The images and sights have imprinted in my memory never to be forgotten. I'll never forget making it to base camp and finding out it was just a bunch of rocks. I was disappointed at first but then realized it wasn't about the destination, it was about the journey we took to get there. The laughs and memories of everyone I gained are innumerable and priceless. The time we spent together on this trip has made a unique bond between us and this trip has a special place in my heart and will forever stay there never to be replaced!



Taylor chose to describe his feelings in a poem:


Never Stop Walking by Taylor Seipert
You set off for the time of your life
Not knowing if you will ever be able to make your goal
You start off sharp as a knife
Not even seeing the toll
Soon your spirit turns to strife
And you feel that your fire is now a coal
Even as you are seeing the splendor
You feel you can't press on
But when the goal comes into sight
You feel that coal ignite
And press on till there is nothing left







6 comments:

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

Weep, weep. Give those grown up kids hugs from me. That was so inspiring and I really enjoy M's writing style. She should turn that in for something...something at school. T, you did swell with your poem. You kids are so lucky to have such fantastic experiences. I am sure one day, we will see you on TV climbing the rest of Everest. Thanks for letting us peek into your expedition.

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

Still weeping.

Derrell said...

So glad you had them document their feelings about the experience. And what an experience!

Bree said...

Holy cow, you guys are amazing and what an amazing experience. You have seen and done more than most of us 'old' folks. I would love 1/2 of those experiences. Nice job!

Rena said...

I am impressed with their writing skills. Amazing!!

stfisher said...

Wow! They did a fantastic job. I enjoyed reading how each of them felt about their trip. These are memories that will stay with them forever and will be GREAT "when I was a kid" stories for their future families. Too cool!!